As part of my grand three-week U.S. vacation, I spent a couple of days hanging out with friends in NYC. Other than a quick hop over to Amanda's house in Brooklyn for a nap, I never made it further uptown than 34th Street. Mostly I hung out with Amanda and ate things, but we did make a little time for shopping in between all that food. On the second day I was there, my brother Ryan came to the city for the first time ever and joined us for some sneaky pictures from the roof of my old apartment building (amazing how they'll just let you waltz right in if you act like you belong there), walking on the newest section of The High Line, and scarfing down pizza before we took off to D.C. for Ryan to hang out with his girlfriend and me and Katie to fly to NOLA. Most of my moving-away angst has faded, so I can think a whole lot more rationally about how I feel about New York than I could when I'd first moved to Frankfurt and was missing it awfully (I can now remember the terrible life crises of "this work schedule will never be okay!" that took place approximately once a week, for instance), but I do still love that city. I'd just have to find a different job to make NYC be a good place for me to live -- so hey, good thing "find a different job" is already on the long-terms goals list regardless!
Thursday, July 14, 2011
downtown vacation
As part of my grand three-week U.S. vacation, I spent a couple of days hanging out with friends in NYC. Other than a quick hop over to Amanda's house in Brooklyn for a nap, I never made it further uptown than 34th Street. Mostly I hung out with Amanda and ate things, but we did make a little time for shopping in between all that food. On the second day I was there, my brother Ryan came to the city for the first time ever and joined us for some sneaky pictures from the roof of my old apartment building (amazing how they'll just let you waltz right in if you act like you belong there), walking on the newest section of The High Line, and scarfing down pizza before we took off to D.C. for Ryan to hang out with his girlfriend and me and Katie to fly to NOLA. Most of my moving-away angst has faded, so I can think a whole lot more rationally about how I feel about New York than I could when I'd first moved to Frankfurt and was missing it awfully (I can now remember the terrible life crises of "this work schedule will never be okay!" that took place approximately once a week, for instance), but I do still love that city. I'd just have to find a different job to make NYC be a good place for me to live -- so hey, good thing "find a different job" is already on the long-terms goals list regardless!
Labels:
nyc,
summertime,
usa
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have a similar love affair thing going with Nashville, though I can't say I've lived there - unlike you and NYC. When you move back to the states and I finally get to live in Tennessee, take a road trip down. We'll go to the Jack Daniels Distillery and eat BBQ and listen to as much country music as possible!
ReplyDeleteOh, friend, I am THERE. My friend Suz sent me a postcard from the Jack Daniels Distillery a couple years ago when she passed through while biking cross-country, and I have wanted to go ever since. Also, Nashville is high on the list of places in the U.S. that I need to visit. Perfect all around!
ReplyDelete